This tutorial is a version of the Message Workflow Tutorial, reduced to the options and settings relevant to sending to Web Browsers only.
Web push notifications slide into a desktop/laptop's top right or bottom left corner, depending on the operating system. On a mobile device, their appearance is similar to a push notification.
- Desktop and Android Mobile: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and Safari
- Android Mobile only: Microsoft Edge
What You'll Do
In this tutorial, you will:
- Define who will receive your message.
- Choose which message type to send and enter its content.
- Direct the user's action after they click the message.
- Decide how and when you want the message delivered.
- Preview and send the message.
Features and options are explained along the way.
Open your project from the dashboard, then click Create and select the Message workflow.
- Under Channels, toggle on only Web Browser.
- Select the radio button for your desired recipient group.
- All Users sends the message to your entire audience.
- Target Specific Users lets you create a recipient group based on segmentation data. See: Target Specific Users.
- Test Users are predefined recipient groups. After choosing Test Users,
select from the Test Groups dropdown menu that appears. See:
Audience: Test Groups.
When Web Browsers is the only enabled channel, the workflow is reduced to only fields relevant to Web Notify, as well as default to Web Notify-specific settings.
- Click Content in the header to move on.
Enter message content and configure options.
- Enter the text that will display in your message. A preview will
display as you type.
Below the text box is a color-coded indicator, warning when your message may be truncated on some devices.
- Select a Message Action from the
The Message Action defaults to Home — when the recipient clicks the message, it will open the Default Action URL set in your Web Notify configuration. You can override the default URL by selecting Web Page and entering a different URL. If Web Browsers was the only selected audience channel, the only other available action will be Web Page. See: Message Actions: Availability.
- Optionally Set a tag.
- Set Optional Features.
- Click Delivery in the header to move on.
- Click to select Send Now or Schedule.
- Schedule: Enter a date in YYYY-MM-DD format and make your selections from the dropdown menus.Optionally check the box for Delivery By Time Zone. For example, a push notification scheduled for 9 a.m. will arrive for people on the east coast at 9 a.m. Eastern Time, in the midwest an hour later at 9 a.m. Central Time, then on the west coast two hours after that, at 9 a.m. Pacific Time.
- Set Optional Delivery Features.
- Click Review & Send in the header to move on. If you chose to schedule the message delivery, this step will instead be labeled Review & Schedule.
Review & Send
- Review the preview and message summary. Click the arrows to
page through the various previews.
The browser selection dynamically updates in the dropdown menu
above. You can also select a preview directly from the dropdown menu.
If you would like to make changes, click the associated step in the progress header, make your changes, then return to Review & Send.
- Send your message! Click the Send Message or Schedule Message button at the bottom of the window.