This tutorial is a version of the Message Workflow Tutorial, reduced to the options and settings relevant to sending SMS notifications only.
SMS notifications are text-based messages sent to an MSISDN (phone number) over the SMMP protocol to devices that have opted in for a specific sender ID (long or short code).
What You'll Do
In this tutorial, you will:
- Define who will receive your message.
- Enter the message content.
- Decide how and when you want the message delivered.
- Preview and send the message.
Features and options are explained along the way.
Open your project from the dashboard, then click Create and select the Message workflow.
- Under Channels, toggle on only SMS.
When SMS is the only enabled channel, the workflow is reduced to only fields relevant to SMS, and defaults to SMS-specific settings.
- Select the radio button for your desired recipient group.
- All Users sends the message to your entire audience.
- Target Specific Users lets you create a recipient group based on segmentation data. See: Target Specific Users.
- Test Users are predefined recipient groups. After choosing Test Users, select from the Test Groups dropdown menu that appears. See: Audience: Test Groups.
- Upload Users lets you upload a list of users just before sending the message. See Upload Users below.
- Click Content in the header to move on.
Enter message content.
- Enter the text that will display in your message. A preview will display as you type. Character and message counts are below the text box.
- Click Delivery in the header to move on.
- Click to select Send Now or Schedule.
- Schedule: Enter a date in YYYY-MM-DD format and make your selections
from the dropdown menus.
- Schedule: Enter a date in YYYY-MM-DD format and make your selections from the dropdown menus.
- Set Optional Delivery Features.
- Click Review in the header to move on..
- Review the device preview and message summary.If you would like to make changes, click the associated step in the progress header, make your changes, then return to Review.
If you selected multiple channels for this message, click the arrows to page through the various previews. The channel and display type dynamically update in the dropdown menu above. You can also select a preview directly from the dropdown menu.
- If you chose Upload Users in the Audience step, add your file now. Uploaded merge field names will be verified against the merge fields set in the Content step.
- Send your message! Click Send Message or Schedule Message at the bottom of the window.
In the Audience step of the Message workflow, if you select the Email, SMS, or Open Channel channels, Upload Users appears as an option.
Upload Users can only be used with a single channel at a time. Make sure you have only Email, SMS, or a single Open Channel enabled.
Complete the rest of the workflow like normal, and you will upload the list during the Review step. The Send Message button will instead be labeled Upload & Send. After clicking the button:
- Click Choose File, and select the file that contains your list of users.
- Click Send Message.
See Audience Lists: Inline Lists for file format requirements and general information about Inline lists.