This tutorial is a version of the Message Workflow Tutorial, reduced to the options and settings relevant to sending Email notifications.
An Email notification is an HTML or plain-text email that is sent to registered users. They are viewed in the recipient's email inbox.
What You'll Do
In this tutorial, you will:
- Define who will receive your message.
- Enter the message content.
- Decide how and when you want the message delivered.
- Preview and send the message.
Features and options are explained along the way.
Open your project from the dashboard, then click Create and select the Message workflow.
- Under Channels, toggle on only Email.
When Email is the only enabled channel, the workflow is reduced to only fields relevant to Email, and defaults to Email-specific settings.
- Select the radio button for your desired recipient group.
- All Users sends the message to your entire audience.
- Target Specific Users lets you create a recipient group based on segmentation data. See: Target Specific Users.
- Test Users are predefined recipient groups. After choosing Test Users, select from the Test Groups dropdown menu that appears. See: Audience: Test Groups.
- Upload Users lets you upload a list of users just before sending the
message. See: SMS Notification Tutorial: Upload Users.
If using an email template or including merge fields in your HTML, you must select Upload Users.
- Click Content in the header to move on.
- Enter message content. If you chose Upload Users in the
Audience step, first choose Custom HTML or
Email Template as a content source.
- Custom HTML: Paste your HTML in the Content pane. Also enter a plain text
- For commercial messages, both HTML and plain text content must include an Unsubscribe link. The Content step is considered incomplete until a link is provided or the message is designated as transactional in the Settings pane.
- Merge fields can be included in HTML and plain text content if you chose
Upload Users in the Audience step.
- Email Template: Select from previously created email templates. After making your choice, click Select Template.
- Custom HTML: Paste your HTML in the Content pane. Also enter a plain text version.
- Complete the Settings fields and selections. Template-based messages
are prepopulated and can be edited.
- Subject: Enter the message's subject line and preview text. Preview text is a snippet of the email body that is displayed below the sender name and subject line in a user's inbox. Note: Not all email clients support preview text.
- From Name: Enter the sender name.
- From Email: Enter the sender email address. Choose a domain from the dropdown menu to complete the address.
- Reply To Email: Specify the email address that will populate the To field if the message is replied to. Choose a domain from the dropdown menu to complete the address. Leave field blank if replies should go to the address already entered in the From email address field.
- Transactional: Designate the message as transactional. Messages are commercial by default. Toggle to enable.
- Bypass Status: Send regardless of user's opt-in status. Toggle to enable. This option appears if Transactional is enabled.
- Merge Fields: These settings are used when a value is not sent through your integration. Take care to craft your message so that your default values will make sense in the case they are needed. Check the box for Allow Empty if you want the field to appear even if it has no value. This pane will also appear for HTML messages that include merge fields.
- Click Delivery in the header to move on.
- Select Send Now or Schedule.
- Schedule: Enter a date in YYYY-MM-DD format and make your selections
from the dropdown menus. Scheduling is allowed for up to 60 days in the
- Schedule: Enter a date in YYYY-MM-DD format and make your selections from the dropdown menus. Scheduling is allowed for up to 60 days in the future.
- Set Optional Delivery Features.
- Click Review in the header to move on.
- Review the device preview and message summary.Click the arrows to page through the various previews. The channel and
display type dynamically update in the dropdown menu above. You can also
select a preview directly from the dropdown menu.
To make changes, click the associated step in the progress header, make your changes, then return to Review.
- If you chose Upload Users in the Audience step, add your file now. Uploaded merge field names will be verified against the merge fields set in the Content step.
- Send your message! Click Send Message at the bottom of the window.