mParticle is a mobile data platform. Apps using the mParticle SDK collect data which is then routed to various providers configured on mParticle's dashboard.
Integration with mParticle allows customers to route data to their analytics providers of choice, and if they are already mParticle customers it can lower the amount of work required to integrate Urban Airship.
With Engage you can start using mParticle to capture tags and events. With Connect you will be able to stream events that are unique back to mParticle.
The Urban Airship Engage/mParticle integration is straightforward. Simply add the Urban Airship Kit to your app's dependencies. The kit acts as a bridge between the mParticle and Urban Airship SDKs.
We recommend following the steps provided by mParticle in: Urban Airship Kit Integration.
With the Urban Airship SDK and kit installed in your project, you can use Urban Airship user tags to group users and track behaviors. Map events and event attributes to tags in the mParticle dashboard.
Mapping of mParticle events occurs automatically. The following ecommerce events are mapped to Urban Airship events:
|mParticle Event||Urban Airship Mapped Name|
- To use mParticle's Lifetime Value feature, you must specify an event name for Urban Airship. Usually these are purchase events or other events you’d like to attribute to the lifetime value of the customer.
- Product Bags are not supported or passed by mParticle in integrations.
mParticle User Attributes
User attributes get mapped to device class tags. If the user attribute does
not contain a value the following Urban Airship tag is set: key If the user
attribute contains a value the following format is used to set the tag
- Log in to mParticle.
- Add Urban Airship and create the token. Follow mParticle's configuration steps. You will paste the token in the next step.
- Open your project from the dashboard, then click Settings and select Connect Integrations.
- Under the Connections heading, click mParticle.
- Configure a new mParticle integration:
- Enter a user-friendly name and description.
- Paste the Token from the mParticle setup steps above.
- Choose one or more event type:
- Rich Read, Delivery, and Delete Events
- In-App Message Expiration, Resolution, and Display Events
- Click the Save button.
- What do I do if I already have the Urban Airship SDK in my app and want to add mParticle's SDK?
- In order to send events from mParticle to Urban Airship, either:
- Reinstall the kit through mParticle for a SDK update and to map the events.
- Map mParticle events to Urban Airship--specific events, e.g., tags, custom events, etc.
- How do I update the Urban Airship SDK when it was originally installed via the mParticle SDK?
- You can specify a newer Urban Airship SDK cocoapod for iOS or define a newer gradle dependency for Android. Both cocoapods and gradle resolve to the newest dependency listed. For example, the kit could define 7.0.0, but if the app wants 7.2.0, the kit will be forced to use 7.2.0.
- What events are passed from mParticle to Urban Airship? What attributes or properties are sent?
- See: SDK Details.
- In mParticle's advanced ecommerce events, what events are passed to Urban Airship?
- See: SDK Details.
- What is the best way to associate additional device identifiers?
- We suggest setting the named user to an ID such as an email address or user ID that can be used to target a user across multiple channels. We also suggest setting associated IDs, as this can help with integration.
- How do location tracking events get passed to Urban Airship?
- Location events are not automatically tracked in the co-SDK integration. See Location Triggers for set up steps.
- Target users in Urban Airship via tags and custom events.
- Reach your customer on multiple channels (email, social, etc.), leveraging mobile user behavior to optimize your marketing messages.
- Run custom analysis with mobile data via one of mParticle’s data warehouse providers.
- Leverage other marketing platforms (email, social, etc.) with rich mobile events.
- Pre-mapped eCommerce events from mParticle to Urban Airship.