In This Section
A Message can be a push notification, in-app message, a Message Center message, or any combination of the three. Learn more in the Composer Overview.
What You’ll Do
In this tutorial, you will:
- Define who will receive your message.
- Choose which message type to send and enter its content.
- Direct the users’ next step after they tap or swipe the message.
- Decide how and when you want the message delivered.
- Preview and send the message.
Features and options are explained along the way.
Choose your project from the Urban Airship dashboard, then click the Create button and select the Message composer.
- Select the radio button for your desired Audience.
- Optionally modify which Platforms are included in your audience. All
platforms configured for your project will be listed and are enabled by
default, but you can toggle to limit your audience to specific platforms.
You must select at least one.
Features and options are reduced to those common to all selected platforms. Disable Windows to regain full functionality.
- Click Content in the header to move on.
- Choose which
message type to send,
or choose Silent Push Notification to send a push without notification text.
After you make your selection, you have the options to combine message types and enter Campaign Categories. Click the Continue button to confirm your choice(s).
When Web Browsers and/or Windows is the only enabled platform, the only available message type is Push Notification.
When Web Browsers and an app platform other than Windows are enabled, you have the option to combine the Push Notification with an In-App Message.
- Enter the text that will display in your message. A preview will
display as you type.
- If you chose to combine a Push Notification and In-App Message, an
In-App Message Text section appears below the message
By default, the In-App Message’s alert text is the same as the Push
Notification text. If you’d prefer to use a different message, select the
radio button for Write alternative, and enter your text in the box that
- Select a Message Action from the
The Message Actions listed in the dropdown menu differ depending on which message type you chose and if you chose to combine message types. See: Message Actions: Availability.
- Optionally Set a tag.
- Click Delivery in the header to move on.
- Select the radio button for either Send Now or Send at a Specific Date
If sending at a Specific Date at Time, make your selections from the dropdown
Optionally check the box for Delivery By Time Zone. For example, a push notification scheduled for 9 a.m. will arrive for people on the east coast at 9 a.m. Eastern Time, in the midwest an hour later at 9 a.m. Central Time, then on the west coast two hours after that, at 9 a.m. Pacific Time.
- Set Optional Delivery Features.
- Click Review & Send in the header to move on. If you chose to schedule the message delivery, this step will instead be labeled Review & Schedule.
Review & Send
- Review the message summary on the left side of the screen and device
previewer on the right. Click the arrows to page through the various previews.
The platform and display type are dynamically updated in the dropdown menu
above. You can also select a preview directly from the dropdown menu.
If you would like to make changes, click the associated step in the progress header, make your changes, then return to Review & Send.
- Send your message! Click the Send or Schedule button at the bottom of the window.