In This Section
Urban Airship’s ready-to-use 1st Flight app lets you kick the tires (and honk the horn and try the turn signals) immediately. Install the app and send yourself some notifications.
What You’ll Do
In this tutorial, you will:
- Create an account on go.urbanairship.com.
- Install the 1st Flight app on your iOS or Android mobile device.
- Enable the mobile device to receive push notifications. (Using Android? this step is handled automatically for you. Skip to the next step.)
- Compose push notifications from go.urbanairship.com, and see them on your mobile device.
Sounds good? Let’s get you set up.
Create an Account
- Create an account on go.urbanairship.com.
- Enter your email address and hit the Send button, and we’ll send you a magic link you can use to download the app.
Install the App
- From your mobile device, check your email for our message, and click the message’s magic link. Your device’s app store will open to the Urban Airship app.
- Install and open the app.
Link Your Account and Device
Following a magic link syncs your go.urbanairship.com account with the 1st Flight App on your device.
If you downloaded the app from the app store without using a magic link, the first time you open the app you will need to enter your go.urbanairship.com username and password.
Automatically fill in the fields by requesting and following a magic link now.
After following the magic link you will return to the same screen but the fields will be populated. Just click the Log in button and you’ll be ready for the next step.
Enable Push Notifications
If you’re using an iOS mobile device, click the Allow button, which allows the device to receive push notifications.
Push is automatically enabled for Android, so this screen will not appear for Android mobile devices.
You’re all set. Let’s send a push notification to your mobile device.
Send a Notification
Compose and send a message, and receive it on your mobile device. We’ll try out a few features along the way, too.
- Choose the 1st Flight app from the dashboard, then click the Create button, and select the Message composer.
- Select the radio button for All Devices, then click Content in the
- Click the pane for Push Notification, then click the Continue button that appears.
- Enter your message in the text field, and you will see it in the previewer to the right.
- Select Web Page from the Message Action dropdown menu, then enter a URL. We recommend http://bit.ly/IqT6zt. When your device receives the message and you tap the notification, its web browser will open the URL entered here.
- Toggle to enable the Title option. Enter a title in the text field, and
notice its position in the previewer.
Click Delivery in the progress header to move on.
- Select the radio button for Send Now, then click Review & Send in the progress header.
- Review the information on the left side of the screen, click through the
images in the previewer, then click the Send Message button at the
bottom of the window.
Take a look at the message as received on your mobile device. Tap the message, and the device’s browser should open the web page defined above.
- Send more notifications! Our Message Composer documentation walks you through all the features and options.
- Integrate Urban Airship with your own app. See: Getting Started.
- What can I use the 1st Flight app for?
- The 1st Flight app is designed to let you start sending notifications to yourself with a minimum of fuss. Building a sample app or integrating a new SDK into your existing app can take time and involve technical folk who might not be available. We want to make it as easy as possible for you to see the world-leading engage suite Urban Airship provides.
- I’m currently on a free plan can I use the 1st Flight app?
- Of course! All customers have access to the 1st Flight app. Use any features in the Message Composer and API that are available in your plan other than Message Center and Location History.
- Are all message features available in the 1st Flight app?
- Unfortunately we don’t currently support Message Center or Location History. All the other notification features included to your plan are available through both the Message Composer and API.
- Can anybody else send messages to my installation of the 1st Flight app?
- No. The magic link you used to connect your app and Urban Airship account use a unique app key. While other people have their own apps, they will never be able to see or message your device or vice versa.
- Will reporting work for notifications I send to the 1st Flight app?
- Yes, our push reporting does work for the 1st Flight app.
- Does the 1st Flight app only work on phones?
- No, the 1st Flight app works with tablets too.